Tuesday, September 6, 2011

back to summer: water and light

Hello, everyone! In case you didn't catch the last post, this is going to be the first of (probably) a series of posts looking back on the summer through photography.


About a month ago, my mom took my sisters and I to a place called Citygarden, a public water, art, and sculpture park downtown. (I posted pictures of it during the winter here.) Where those glowing balls are during the winter, there are lighted fountains during the summer. They are beautiful, both during the day and at night.


As you can imagine, it was an absolutely brilliant opportunity to capture the effects of water and lighting. I had a blast experimenting with different shutter speeds and light levels. The aspect of photography that I am the most interested in is capturing things that cannot be experienced by the human eye. This is one of the reasons that I have a slight obsession with macro photography, and also why I like freezing things in motion, such as water.  
Ellen and Mary splashed around to their hearts' content, while I stood and snapped away. They were having the time of their lives, but I would be willing to say that I was having just as much, if not more, fun.
 Mary was a little nervous at first, but eventually she warmed up to the whole idea. She was adorable.
 And of course I had to lower my exposure and capture a few "fake" silhouettes, just for kicks. :)
 I didn't bring a tripod, so once it got darker my photos didn't turn out very well. But once it was dark these lights (which, by the way, changed color constantly) lit up the water. It was beautiful- sparkling and vibrantly colorful.

It was a beautiful day, and a great experience photographically. There are some cool things in this city.

Unless anything important comes up to blog about, I will most likely be carrying on with these "back to summer" posts for a few days.

Now off to start my homework! At almost 9 o'clock! I love my life.

I am really glad to be getting back into the routine of blogging. It gives me something to think about and look forward to during the day. :) Adios, amigos.

Love, Stacey

1 comment:

PETRO50 said...

Great shots. The water is like glass. Pearls and springs that make the summer heat well. I very much like photographs. Nice day wishes Peter.